We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Meat and poultry
Ginataan is a Filipino word that indicates food cooked with gata, or coconut milk. Serve with rice.
27 people made this
- 2kg chicken legs
- 180ml distilled cider vinegar
- 175ml water
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- salt to taste
- 1 (400g) tin coconut milk
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:55min ›Ready in:1hr5min
- Combine the chicken, vinegar, water, sugar, soy sauce, bay leaves, crushed peppercorns, onion and garlic in a large pot; stir and bring the mixture to the boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook at a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a large serving platter and set aside. Increase the heat under the pot to medium and cook until the liquid reduces by about one-quarter, about 10 minutes. Season with salt; stir the coconut milk into the mixture. Cover and cook until the coconut milk appears oily, about 10 minutes. Pour the mixture over the chicken to serve.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(34)
Reviews in English (24)
by Laura Nieto
This did not taste like the Ginataan I am used to. Definately lacking flavor so I added some sliced jalapeno peppers and patis. Boyfriend liked it- but he's like Mikey, he'll eat anything!-30 Aug 2010
This recipe was awesome! I de-skinned the chicken and I used half the amount of suggested vinegar and added 1 tablespoon of brown sugar instead. I didn't add salt because it is already in the soy sauce. I also added a bit of cayenne and a pinch of corriander for some extra flavour. Yum Yum - if you make half of the recipe you will have some coconut milk left for coconut rice which pairs so well. Goes well with steamed asparagus on the side. mmmmm.-15 May 2010
Very good. Next time I would skin and defat the chicken before cooking as it ended up quite greasy. The chicken was cooked after 30 minutes, but tender after 45. The sauce was good before I added the coconut milk, so I might even make this again without to change things up a bit.-06 Mar 2010